Friday 13 May 2016

Ripon Duathlon series race 1

Friday April 29
3D Tri/Go Tri Ripon Racecourse
I entered within the last week. I figured that a short Sharp event would help my speed and transitions.
Distances 2km run, 29 km cycle, 2 km run.
The weather was pretty foul, it rained all day and there were strong winds. I got home from work later than planned, had tea, grabbed my stuff and set off. 
I had in my head that the race was 18:30, but thought I'd check on my phone. I looked and the event I saw had shorter distances and was at 17:30. Oh no! It wa 25 past now and we were 6 miles away. I continued searching on my phone, this time a link took me to a different site. This had correct distances but was an 18:00 start. At least we would make it in time. 
The rain stopped and I got registered. I went to rack but had to find Billy, he had locked the car and briefing was in 5 min. I found him racked. It was a low key race with only 22 competitors so transition was nice and small. I wrapped my kit in a plastic bag in case it rained again.
The race stArted and I set off round the lake, the ground was soft but not muddy. The small field meant that pretty soon nearly everyone was ahead of me. I got to transition and in order to get a quick transition I had put my bike jacket and rain jacket on earlier and removed them together. As I put them on, my arm went in only on armhole on the left side, but I was taking too long and just zipped the jackets up and struggled into my gloves.my hands stuck but I got my bike and jogged over the rough ground to the mount line and set off on the bike. 
There was a rider in the distance and one just behind, I started to chase. It took about 4 miles and I finally caught the rider ahead and in the next 3 miles overtook 4 riders, a little further on there were no bikes in sight but I was overtaken. Blast! I set chase again, I kept him close but could not quite catch him. The last 6 miles were into a head wind, my speed dropped but so did his, but he was slowly getting away. I pushed my burning legs harder and closed the gap again and a busy junction forced him to wait but cleared as I got there. A few yards later and we turned back into the racecourse.
T2, I was determined to leave a tidy area putting everything back in my bag. Helmet off last then ran out chasing the rider that had passed me. I felt OK for such a hard ride and soon caught and passed the man an ran my hardest around the lake to the finish.
1 hour 28 minutes. I have no splits as I messed my garmin up.
Great event. I think it will grow as the series continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment